Homeowners are embracing nature in a number of ways, including in how they choose to design their interior living spaces. Earthy colors – from neutral to bold – are showing up in things like cabinetry and wall finishes to provide a familiar, comforting element to the design.
Nature-based tones and textures are making their presence felt in the latest tile offerings as well. Whether the pieces are for indoor or outdoor use, as wall coverings or flooring, the most current styles reflect hues that mimic forests, beaches and everything in between.
Among the trends in tile right now are:
- Combed and undulating, uneven surfaces that play with light and shadow are catching the eye of discerning homeowners.
- While a myriad of shapes still exist, the most popular ones are geometric in form, with rectangles, hexagons, triangles and squares leading the way.
- Neutrals are especially popular, with creamy whites, watery blues, sage greens and earthy corals taking center stage.
- Ease of maintenance and safety concerns are still a major draw, with easy-to-clean glazes, anti-slip surfacing and even antimicrobial elements included in each piece.
- Glass, stone, porcelain and ceramic are leading materials, with cement and terracotta also garnering continued attention.
- Matte finishes are being challenged by glossy and iridescent coatings, which offer a more playful surface when it comes to lighting and room layout.